- might be a false prophet... because her stable of self-help gurus treated suffering as something beneficial
- "turned the black church’s ethos of self-reliance in the face of suffering into an exaltation of suffering itself" so that "suffering becomes a desirable experience"
On "Oprah" “guests are forced to admit their worst transgressions.”
Oprah's self-help partners included:
- Louise Hay, who once said Holocaust victims may have been paying for sins in a previous life.
- Caroline Myss, who claims emotional distress causes cancer.
- Rhonda Byrne, creator of the DVD and book “The Secret,” who teaches that just thinking about wealth can make you rich. (I read this despicable, misleading, money-making book in an hour sitting in a Borders. At one point I imagined someone walking up to me and giving me $10,000. It did not happen. And, I wondered why I did not wish for more?)
- “Psychic medium” John Edward, who helps mourning people in her audience talk to their dead relatives.