Here are some things I am doing this week to "remain in Jesus, the Vine."
- Listening to a lot of Christmas music. It is beautiful, isn't it?! Linda and I have found Andrea Bocelli's new Christmas cd astounding.
- Spending a lot of personal time with God. Just me and Him. I continue slow-cooking in John chapters 14-17. I keep a spiritual journal. When God speaks to me, I write it down in my journal. I remind you of Exodus 33:11, which we looked at in Sunday morning's worship service: "The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend." This is the kind of relationship I want with God! Remember what Jesus tells his disciples in John 15:15 "I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you."
- Taking me-and-Linda time. We're going to see a movie or two. I am looking forward to seeing "Invictus," a story about South Africa's Nelson Mandela. Maybe "Avatar" too.
- Ministering to people both within and without the Redeemer family. Tody there are some hospital calls I will be making. And Linda and I are always open and alert to how God wants to use us and flow through us to others. For us, even though we need times to refresh ourselves, ministry is life. Can things get any better than being wielded by God to save and rescue others? I don't think so!
- Meeting with our incredible staff on Tuesday morning for coffee, sharing, and just being together.
- Coming to Redeemer for an hour on Christmas Eve to be with all of you, our very beloved and power-filled passionate followers of the Real Jesus! How grateful we are for every one of you!
- Serving in the Soup Kitchen meal on Saturday night.
- Reading. My "hobby" has always been and remains reading multiple books at a time. I am a perpetual learner, and enjoy filling some of my time in this way. I am currently reading Imam Qazwini's autobiography American Crescent. Qazwini is the Imam of the Islamic Center of America in Dearborn. A few weeks ago I met with the Muslim leader of ICA. I feel God is telling me to study more deeply about Islam, and that he has some things for me re. this in the days ahead.
- Being interrupted. I just got a phone call from one of my communtiy college students. He told me he wants to talk about some of the things about God that I was teaching in my class. I told him, "See you in thirty minutes."
Have a truly meaning-filled, blessed Christ-mas!