This coming Sunday my colleague Josh Bentley and I will co-preach on Spiritual Warfare, the Reality of Satan, and the Demonic. We're doing this in preparation for Angela Greenig being with us next week.
Here are some thoughts I have as I am now prepping for this.
- I think many North American Christians practically deny the role of the demonic.
- Yet the demonic (kingdom of satan/darkness) is central in the four gospels and the writings of Paul.
- I have never disbelieved in the demonic since becoming a Jesus-follower.
- Jesus-followers in non-Westernized cultures affirm the reality of satan and demons, and angels as well. I've been in these countries, and am friends with a number of Asian and African scholars (including some Fulbright scholars), who all embrace the reality of a supra-natural realm. (= above nature)
- Belief or disbelief in satan and demons (and angels) is a matter of worldview, not intelligence.
- Jesus had a worldview. His worldview included non-physical agents (spirits, good and evil). See Charles Kraft's excellent cultural-anthropological chapter "Jesus Had a Worldview" in his Christianity With Power.
Then Josh will preach on deliverance ministry.
Then, we'll see what God does.