Looks like there will be 60-80 people attending my Spiritual Formation class this Sunday evening at Redeemer.
If you want to attend see - An Invitation to Six Weeks of Spiritual Formation - Jan. 29 - March 11, 2012.
I also have some who will be taking my class on-line, from a distance. Here's how to do this if you want to.
FOR LONG-DISTANCE ATTENDEESSend me an e-mail indicating that you will be joining me in this 6-week prayer experience. firstname.lastname@example.org
Because you will not be with us in person this Sunday night, Jan. 29, here are some instructions.
1. On Sunday evening, 5 PM, I will be sending everyone out to pray for one hour, using Psalm 23.
a. Please do the same. I will be sending you the handout I am using on Sunday evening, with instructions.
b. After the one hour of prayer, please write me an e-mail. Share with me the things you heard God saying to you.
c. I will respond back with feedback, plus instructions for the 6 weeks of prayer.
2. My teaching that evening will be available on-line for you to listen to. I'll send you the information/link so you can listen to this 1-hour presentation on A Theology of Spiritual Formation. (To my current and former seminary students: this 1-hour teaching is a mini-version of what I taught in our week-long class.)
3. Beginning Monday, Jan. 30, and continuing for the next 6 weeks, take one hour a day, 5 days a week, and go alone to a place and pray.
a. Find a place away from your home, workplace, and your car.
b. Meet with God for one hour.
c. For week #1 continue using Ps. 23 to meditate on.
d. For weeks 2-6 use John chapters 14, 15, and 16 for your meditation.
e. When God speaks to you, write this down in your spiritual journal.
f. If your mind wanders, write down where it wanders to. Note: Your mind always wanders to something like a burden. When this happens, follow 1 Peter 5:7 and “cast your burdens on him, for he cares for you.”
g. After these 6 weeks of prayer, write down highlights from your journal. Send these highlights to me, and I will respond back. Tell me what God said to you. Share with me what God has done within you and for you during this time.
4. During these 6 weeks I will send you things to read that I have written. Respond to me if you like.
5. If you have questions please let me know.