A long, long time ago Bill Craig (aka William Lane Craig) was one of my campus pastors at Northern Illinois University, where I did my undergraduate degree in philosophy. I was honored to sing in Bill and Jan's wedding.
We were always talking about our faith, the existence of God, apologetics, metaethics, philosophical anthropology, and much more. It all got inside me, and has never left, but has been tended and watered and nurtured over the decades.
Here is Bill's essay in Philosophy Today where he gives eight reasons to believe God exists ("Does God Exist?"). Read the essay for the reasoning.
- God is the best explanation why anything at all exists.
- God is the best explanation of the origin of the universe.
- God is the best explanation of the applicability of mathematics to the physical world.
- God is the best explanation of the fine-tuning of the universe for intelligent life.
- God is the best explanation of intentional states of consciousness.
- God is the best explanation of objective moral values and duties.
- The very possibility of God’s existence implies that God exists.
- God can be personally known and experienced.