I still worry too much. My worry comes from losing spiritual focus.
I can mentally acknowledge that God is with me. But there are times when this truth does not capture my heart. At that point, I am susceptible to worry.
Here are things that combat worry.
- Spending solitary praying time with God. This restores my heart to its proper place. In His presence, my agitated soul finds rest.
- Being in community with my brothers and sisters. Authentic Christian community absorbs worry. (Thank God for the small groups Linda and I have been in over the years!)
- Reading Scripture and meditating on it. Scripture escorts my heart into His Kingdom.
- Listening to experienced Jesus-followers, and learning from them. Many counselors dispense wisdom.
- Remembering how God has been with me.
- Counting my blessings. (I often carry a list of them, looking at them, and giving thanks to God for them.)
- Organizing and doing. Taking action, where I am able and available.
- Walking in obedience. Living righteously secures my attachment to Jesus.
- Worshiping. When my soul sings, worry flees.
Doing these things recapture my heart. My renewed heart experiences God with me, working through me, assuring me that I am not alone, and that He is with me.
Leading the Presence-Driven Church
Encounters with the Holy Spirit (co-edited with Janice Trigg)
Deconstructing Progressive Christianity