I still worry too much. My worry comes from losing spiritual focus. It grows in the soil of false belief, thinking I am left behind, on my own. I can mentally acknowledge that God is with me. But there are times when I this truth does not capture my heart. At that point I am susceptible to worry.
Here are things that combat worry.
- Spending solitary praying time with God. This restores my heart to its proper place.
- Being in community with my brothers and sisters.
- Reading Scripture and meditating on it.
- Listening to experienced Jesus-followers and learning from them.
- Remembering how God has been with me.
- Counting my blessings. (I often carry a list of them, looking at them, and giving thanks to God for them.)
- Organizing and doing. Taking action, where I am able and available.
- Walking in obedience.
Doing these things recapture my heart. My renewed heart experiences God with me, working through me, assuring me that I am not alone.