Greg Boyd writes:
Through the incarnation, life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ the infinitely wise God solved a number of problems. Among other things,
- through Christ God defeated the devil and his cohorts (Heb 2: 14; 1 Jn 3: 8);
- revealed the definitive truth about himself (Rom 5: 8, cf. Jn 14: 7-10);
- reconciled all things, including humans, to himself (2 Cor 5: 18-19; Col 1: 20-22);
- forgave us our sins (Acts 13: 38; Eph 1: 7);
- healed us from our sin-diseased nature (1 Pet 2: 24);
- poured his Spirit on us and empowered us to live in relation to himself (Rom 8: 2-16);
- and gave us an example to follow (Eph 5: 1-2; 1 Pet 2: 21).
- Greg concludes that "God’s wisdom is displayed in a “rich variety” indeed!"
From Beilby and Eddy, The Nature of the Atonement: Four Views, p. 23
I'll be making posts on the Atonement through Good Friday.
If you want to dig deeper, see the Beilby and Eddy book.
See William Lane Craig, The Atonement.