|Sunrise over Lake Erie|
One of the things I can do, for my people, is introduce them to a life of prayer and deeper abiding in Christ. For me, this is foundational; this is the one thing I must do.
This past winter I gave a 1-month Spiritual Formation class. Now, this summer, I'm adding a month, and adding some new material to the experience. If you are interested in doing this 2-month class with me and cannot make the three large-group class sessions here in Monroe, you can do it online. Send me an e-mail and I'll enroll you - firstname.lastname@example.org.
I'm including a special section and teachings on "fasting" as a spiritual discipline.
If you are able to take the class and make (as far as you know) the three large-group sessions, then e-mail me and I'll add you to the list.
I look forward to growing spiritually with many of you this summer!
SUMMER SPIRITUAL TRANSFORMATION CLASS
PURPOSE: To facilitate growth into greater Christlikeness by building a deeper life of prayer as an ongoing lifestyle. This will lead to God’s Spirit having greater access to your heart, and forming Christ in you. (Galatians 4:19; Rom. 12:1-2)
DESCRIPTION: This will be a two-month class focusing on areas of personal spiritual growth and transformation. There will be:
· Three large-group meetings, with teaching and sharing
· Assignments using the spiritual disciplines of prayer, solitude, silence, fasting, and keeping a spiritual journal.
· I will send weekly, by e-mail, things I have written about matters of spiritual transformation.
· I will provide an annotated bibliography of relevant books to read during these two months.
· Attend the three large-group classes.
· Pray one hour a day, 5 days a week, for 2 months.
· Engage in the spiritual disciplines, as instructed. My emphasis will be on fasting. If you want to read ahead on this subject, I suggest Scot McKnight's excellent book Fasting: The Ancient Practices. You can get it for as little as $1 at amazon.com.
· Tuesday night, June 19. 7-9 PM.
o Initial teaching and discussion on the area of spiritual transformation (Romans 12:1-2), with a focus on fasting.
· Tuesday night, July 17. 7-9 PM.
o Specific teachings on the historical spiritual disciplines as ways of abiding in Christ, and facilitating spiritual transformation. My colleague Pastor Josh Bentley will do some of this teaching.
· Tuesday night, August 14. 7-9 PM.
o Final reflections on this process, sharing, and so on.
ONLINE STUDENTS WELCOME
· Contact me by e-mail to indicate your participation – email@example.com.
· I’ll send you instructions. Assignments/etc. will be online and sent by e-mail.
· My three large-group presentations will be accessible online.
Note for all who participated in my Spiritual Formation class in the winter: In this summer class I will present new information to take you further, and I will repeat core information to deepen the teachings.