BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO HUNGER AND THIRST FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS, FOR THEY SHALL BE FILLED.
- Matthew 5:6
What is this thing called “righteousness?”
We get a big clue, later in the Sermon on the Mount, when Jesus says, in Matthew 6:33: But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
HIS character… HIS integrity…
The Sermon on the Mount gives many examples of God’s righteousness.”
These show us what a person looks like and lives like when they are hungering and thirsting for His Kingdom and His righteousness.
A person who seeks and hungers and thirsts for God's righteousness...
- Doesn’t hold anger in their heart against someone (5:21-26)
- Is sexually pure – they don’t look lustfully at other people. (5:27–30)
- Has integrity: they stand by their word (5:33-37)
- Exhibits magnanimous Love: They love and care for their enemies, not just their friends. (5:46-47)
- Are authentic: They don't do good things to impress people (6:1)
- Humbly gives to people in poverty (6:2-4)
- Has a praying life (6:5-13)
- Lives a forgiving life: Forgive others so God will forgive you (6:14-15)
- Doesn’t build up treasures, and wealth, on earth (6:19–21, 24)
- Disengages from judging other people and fault-finding: they ask God to pull the logs out of their own eyes – they fix their own junk first. (7:1-5)
- Treats people the way they want others to treat them (7:12)
- Is actively obedient: Does everything Jesus taught (7:15-27)
All these practices define what God’s righteousness looks like on earth, manifested in Jesus-followers such as you.