|(One of my Spiritual Formation classes at Payne Theological Seminary)|
What a blessing it has been for me to be an Adjunct Faculty member at Payne Theological Seminary!
My class is Spiritual Formation. I've been teaching this class for many years at a number of theological seminaries, seminars, workshops, both in the U.S. and in places around the world. Through the years it has been my privilege to instruct many pastoral leaders from Africa, and many African-American pastoral leaders.
Here are books that line my bookshelf, and populate my Kindle, on African and African-American spirituality include:
- The New Jim Crow: Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness (Must reading for anyone desiring to understand racism in America.)
- Never to Leave Us Alone: The Prayer Life of Martin Luther King Jr. (This is the book to read about King's praying life, a life entirely ignored by the secular media.)
- Revives My Soul Again: The Spirituality of Martin Luther King Jr. (This is the book to read on King's spiritual life, a life entirely ignored by the secular media.)
- "Thou, Dear God": Prayers that Open Hearts and Spirits
Flora Wilson Bridges
James Cone (It was my privilege to be one of three teachers at a Transformation Leadership week-long conference. Dr Cone taught, Deotis Roberts taught, and I was given Friday morning and afternoon to wrap the week up. [Thank you Dr Leah Fitchue!])
Melva Wilson Costen
Stephen Ellis and Gerrie Ter HaarCain Hope Felder
- They Looked for a City: A Comparative Analysis of the Ideal of Community in the Thought of Howard Thurman and Martin Luther King, Jr.
Obery Hendricks (Hendricks is former President of Payne Theological Seminary and currently Prof. of Biblical Interpretation at New York Theological Seminary)
- The Politics of Jesus: Rediscovering the True Revolutionary Nature of Jesus' Teachings and How They Have Been Corrupted
Johnny Bernard Hill
Dwight HopkinsRufus Matthew Jones, Kerry Walters (Note: the Quaker-mystical theology of Rufus Jones deeply influenced the spirituality of Howard Thurman)
Robert W. Kellemen, Karole A. Edwards
James W. Perkinson
- My Moral Odyssey (Dr. Charles Brown of Payne Seminary recommended this to me.)
Luther E. Smith
Katrina Dyonne ThompsonHoward Thurman (Thurman, in my mind, is the leading African-American figure in contemporary spirituality, not only writing so profoundly in this area but living out a contemplative and active life of Jesus-following)
- Jesus and the Disinherited
- Howard Thurman: Essential Writings
- Meditations of the Heart
- For the Inward Journey
- With Head and Heart: The Autobiography of Howard Thurman
- Black Religion and Black Radicalism: An Interpretation of the Religious History of African Americans
THANK YOU, again, Dr Leah Fitchue, for the privilege of teaching under your leadership in the D. Min. Program at Palmer Theological Seminary, and the M. Div. Program at Payne Theological Seminary.