Before I married Linda one of my pastors gave me Charlie Shedd's book Letters to Philip: On How to Treat a Woman. I read it. And then, a few years later, I read it again. Remember that, when it comes to wisdom, "old" doesn't mean "not as relevant."
1. Before we begin we must both agree that the time is right.
2. We will remember that our only battle aim
is a deeper understanding of each other.
3. We will check our weapons often to be sure they're not deadly.
4. We will lower our voices instead of raising them.
5. We will never quarrel in public nor reveal private matters.
6. We will discuss an armistice whenever either of us calls "halt."
7. When we have come to terms we will put it away
until we both agree it needs more discussing.