When and where
Ten Sunday mornings, 17 January through 20 March
We live in a culture that often misrepresents the real, historical Jesus. The purpose of this course is to raise the level of the students’ Jesus-literacy and experience of Christ. In this course students will:
· Study about Jesus from the biblical texts, as understood within the historical context in which they were written.
· Study some of the current real Jesus literature as an aid to understanding the biblical accounts of Jesus.
· Learn how to distinguish the real Jesus from the fictional.
· Encounter and experience Christ as an ongoing, living reality.
This will be accomplished through classroom readings, class discussion, and homework assignments.
· Using scripture and book excerpts:
o Define who Jesus said he was
o Define who Jesus was by the things he did
o Debunk our presuppositions
o Define our life actions based on the Jesus of the gospels
Our Final Exam is not at RMS
· 1 John 3:1-3 says it all
Ø Christianity: The state of the art
2. The gospels: 2000 years old; can we believe what we read?
Ø Truth or public relations?
3. The incomprehensible trinity
Ø The small try to define the One Ruler
Ø An invitation from the fellowship of God
4. The Incarnation and birth
Ø Seriously, Joseph and Mary’s son?
Ø What happened to our Christmas story?
5. The Sermon on the Mount
Ø Unobtainable idealism?
6. Shock and awe
Ø This Jesus is amazing
Ø This Jesus is crazy
7. The Messiah: the Jewish hope
Ø Guess who is coming to dinner
Ø The temple is going down!?
8. Jesus rules!
Ø Jesus is not our candidate
Ø Who made you king, Jesus?
9. The Kingdom of God
Ø Invert the world and shake
Ø Eschatology for the faint of heart
Very Relevant Books
· Philip Yancey, The Jesus I Never Knew
· N.T. Wright, How God Became King
· Kenneth E. Bailey, Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes
· Richard Bauckham, Jesus: A Very Short Introduction
· Michael J. McClymond, Familiar Stranger
· Ben Witherington, The Christology of Jesus
· Greg Boyd & Paul Eddy, Lord or Legend?: Wrestling with the Jesus Dilemma
· A.W. Tozer, Knowledge of the Holy