FOR FURTHER READING - DAY 32
Many thanks to all who joined me for "31 Days of Jesus" during this Christmas season. Here are books and websites I recommend for more reading on Jesus, with a few annotations.
BOOKS ON JESUS
- Jesus: A Very Short Introduction - a beautiful introduction to the Real Jesus by a great scholar.
- Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: The Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony - Bauckham delivrers a strong case that the four Gospels are closely based on eyewitness testimony of those who knew Jesus. Note: all four Gospels.
- Cynic Sage or Son of God?: Recovering the Real Jesus in an Age of Revisionist Replies - I was talking with Craig Keener in his office and asked, "What books do you recommend on Jesus studies?" Craig pulled Greg's book off the shelf and said, "This is very good."
Greg Boyd & Paul Eddy
- The Jesus Legend: A Case for the Historical Reliability of the Synoptic Jesus Tradition - Among other things Boyd and Eddy debunk the idea that the Jesus story emerged from surrounding pagan myths.
- Lord or Legend?: Wrestling with the Jesus Dilemma - A more accessible version of their book The Jesus Legend.
- The Historical Jesus: An Essential Guide - By Princeton New Testament scholar Charlesworth.
- Fabricating Jesus: How Modern Scholars Distort the Gospels - The great New Testament scholar debunks, among others, Bart Ehrman.
- Jesus and His World: The Archaeological Evidence - I got this book as a Christmas gift, and began to read it last night. It is highly reviewed.
Craig Evans and N.T. Wright
- Jesus, the Final Days: What Really Happened. This would be an excellent little book to read leading up to Easter 2013.
Larry Hurtado and Chris Keith
- Jesus among Friends and Enemies: A Historical and Literary Introduction to Jesus in the Gospels. I recently picked up this book and have begun to read it.
- Gospel of the Kingdom: Scriptural Studies in the Kingdom of God. This is one of the books to be read on the nature of "the kingdom of God."
- Familiar Stranger: An Introduction to Jesus of Nazereth. This is another book Craig Keener strongly recommended to me.
- The King Jesus Gospel: The Original Good News Revisited. Why read this book? Because it has two Forewards, by N.T. Wright and Dalla Willard. This book is about the Real Jesus and the actual Gospel.
- American Jesus: How the Son of God Became a National Icon - A good read on who the Real Jesus is not.
- The Christology of Jesus
- The Jesus Quest: The Third Search for the Jew of Nazareth
- What Have They Done with Jesus?: Beyond Strange Theories and Bad History--Why We Can Trust the Bible
N.T. Wright (No one today is writing more about Jesus than Wright is.)
- How God Became King: The Forgotten Story of the Gospels . Remember that understanding the "kingdom of God" is the hermeneutical key to understanding the Real Jesus.
- Jesus and the Victory of God
- The Resurrection of the Son of God
- Simply Jesus: A New Vision of Who He Was, What He Did, and Why He Matters
NEW TESTAMENT COMMENTARIES
When the following New Testament scholars write a commentary, it's going to be worth reading.
- Richard Bauckham
- D.A. Carson
- Craig Evans
- Gordon Fee
- R.T. France
- David Garland
- Joel Green
- Richard Hays
- Craig Keener
- Andreas Kostenberger
- Scot McKnight
- Douglas Moo
- Ben Witherington
- N.T. Wright - especially see Wright's "For Everyone" series.
WEBSITES ON JESUS AND THE NEW TESTAMENT