|Baptisms in the river in our backyard|
When God shows up one should expect certain things. What are essential elements of a real move of God?
I distinguish essential elements from contingent elements. For example, essential elements of "car" include wheels, motor, can be driven; contingent elements of car are attributes like red, four-door, convertible, and 450 hp.
What will a real move of God look like? Will there always, for example, be people falling down under the power of the Spirit? The answer is no. "Falling down" is a contingent, not essential, attribute of a move of God. (This does not mean it is unimportant.)
Here's what I'm now thinking (with a little help from JB).
7 Essential Signs of a Real Move of God
- Proclamation and Demonstration of the Kingdom accompanied by the Presence of The Holy Spirit
- People are transformed internally (identity, behavior, etc)
- Social transformation (reach out to lost, hurting, poor, etc.)
- Awe – (especially expressed in worship)
- A truth is restored or expressed in a new way (e.g., the. Father's love)
- Fellowship together and *disenculturation (unity, mission, prayer, etc.)
- Resistance and possible persecution
*Disenculturation - an examination of our culture through the lens of the Kingdom of God